Raspberry Flavored Applesauce

When life gives you an overload of apples what do you do? Don't sweat it -- just make applesauce! Last week we had a situation where we ended up with lots and lots of apples sitting on the counter-top waiting to be used! Good part about my lack of sweet tooth is that I am always looking for some not-so-sweet ways to prepare a light fruit based sweet dish which we'll love and won't seem like a mere idea of a dessert to our guests :) This one fits the bill perfectly!

Raspberry adds a nice pinkish red hue to the sauce which I loved! Surprisingly it also paired really well with apples. Lemon juice is necessary to bring out the apple flavor and cardamom just puts the whole dish together for me! Next time I want to try this with some apple liquor, I bet it will add a nice edge to this dish :) I did a test taste and was so pleasantly surprised by these apple-raspberry flavors that in a hurry to eat it all I did not even care much about the picture!

(For rest of the post follow the read more link below...)
I don't think I need to blog about health benefits of apples; the saying "an apple a day.." says it all! Apples are a great source of anti-oxidants which are crucial for heart-health. They are also loaded with fibers and the pulp and the skin of apples is a very good source of flavonoids which have been linked with reducing inflammation. Overall apples are just a great fruit to enjoy while also supporting your heart health! More about health benefits of apples here.

A post about apples just won't be complete without mentioning 'Botany of Desire': there is this really nice documentary called 'Botany of Desire' by Michael Pollan which I saw on TV recently which explores the human-plant symbiotic relationships. A really wonderfully done and information watch! It had a section in there for apples and the history of apples. For anyone interested, here is a link to the PBS video for this documentary (follow apple).

Now without further ado here is the recipe for Raspberry flavored Apple Sauce:
Ingredients:
5 large apples (I used Fuji but any good cooking apple would work)
10 frozen raspberries
1.5C water (little less for smaller apples -- see note below)
2Tbsp sugar (This really depends on the sweetness of apples and how sweet/tart you want the final dish to be -- my apples were very very sweet so I used very little sugar. Start with this amount and taste after apple sauce is cooked, you can always add more sugar later if its not sweet enough)
1 cardamom pod -- crushed
1tsp lemon juice
(next time I want to add some apple liquor here for some zing :D)

Recipe:
  1. Peel and core the apples. Cut each apple into 8 small pieces.
  2. Add the apple pieces, raspberries, sugar and 1.5C water in a heavy bottomed pan.
  3. Cover and let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and cook uncovered for around 30-35mins until most of the apple chunks have fallen apart and the sauce has reached desired consistency. While the apples are cooking keep stirring regularly so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan. As you progress if the applesauce seems too thick, add some more water. If applesauce seems very watery, let it cook a bit extra uncovered. Remove from heat.
  4. Using a potato masher mash the sauce. I like chunky pieces in this sauce, but if you prefer a smoother sauce then run it through a blender or food processor.
  5. Add lemon juice and cardamom. Taste for sugar.
  6. Enjoy chilled!
Note: The recipe above is for 5 large apples. For smaller apples, I would guess you should reduce water to 1C and then add more on a need-basis. Same goes with sugar. Taste it after its done, add more sugar if needed.
    A chilled cup of this raspberry flavored applesauce with a raspberry topping flies straight to Yasmeen for the health-nut challenge3 : apples.

    Comments

    Namitha said…
    Awesome..Liked all the ingredients you used , esp addition of raspberry which gave that eautiful reddish color to the sauce :-)
    indosungod said…
    Lovely looking dessert you have there. Whereas just apple sauce might be blah no one can call thing of beauty that. Looks so very good.

    Thanks for the link, I am watching it right now.
    amita said…
    Oh, please reserve a cup of this for me! This looks so cute.
    Unknown said…
    I love to serve such fruity treats anytime.Thanks for the awesome entry :D
    PJ said…
    Gulmohar, thanks :) I loved raspberry in this one.. gives such a nice color and a bit of tartness of raspberry went really well with the sweetness of apples!

    indo, thanks :) I am so very glad you liked it! I have loved all of Michael Pollan's work and this particular series is my favorite. It keeps coming on PBS, so do watch it if you get a chance. Reading your latest post, I am pretty sure you will like his work :)

    amita, absolutely! You got one :) thanks for stopping by!

    Yasmeen, thanks! You have been a lovely host :)
    Unknown said…
    Looks absolutely delicious. I also make apple sauce with mixed berries,but never added cardamom. Will try out next time.

    Regarding your question on Xylitol, it is much more healthier than Agave. I used Agave very briefly until i gave up seeing this article in http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2009/06/16/agave-a-triumph-of-marketing-over-truth.aspx. This time i did more research on Xylitol and checked with my Doctor also before going ahead. I got Xylitol in Vitamin Shoppe you should be able to find it in your health food store or online.
    Sonia said…
    What a gorgeous sauce! I prepare this applesauce for baking as it's best substitute for oil. And you prepared a dessert here...looks so inviting! :)
    Cham said…
    I am neither a sweet tooth person! This one sounds fantastic with berry!
    Faiza Ali said…
    That loooks awesome and yummmilicious .
    PJ said…
    A2Z vegetarian cooking, thanks so much for the pointers on agave nectar! This is the precise food marketing that can be so elusive and effective! I had been under the impression that agave is a natural healthy alternative to sugar and now that i read more it has 92% fructose! a good informative read, for sure!
    PJ said…
    Sonia, thanks! I have heard of applesauce being used in baking but never got around to trying it.. see, every-time I make some I just end up eating it like that :) reminds me I should make some banana bread with it soon!

    Shahana, thanks :) I am so very glad that you liked this dish! and thanks for stopping by!

    Cham, you know what I mean then, right! Its just so difficult to find a sweet dish that you enjoy and also that your guests would qualify as a complete dessert, right?! :)

    Faiza, thanks! I am so glad you liked this recipe :)
    Deepa G Joshi said…
    thats too yummy and fruitilicious!!
    s said…
    Oh.My.God......same pinch again!! check out my post!!!!!!
    SE said…
    what a wonderful picture...this is looking so yummy..def on my list
    PJ said…
    Deepa, thanks! I am so glad you liked it :)

    s, there is some telepathy going on here that is beyond us, dear :D lol! Jam looks great btw!

    SE, thanks! I hope you try it! Do let me know how it goes :)
    Dolly Sharma said…
    I agree with you dear PJ, when life gives you apples make applesauce.!!! I do make it a lot, but have never tried it with Raspberry..I'm sure it tastes divine.. It's a great after school snack for kids..I absolutely love ur Click..
    Shwetha said…
    PJ,
    I just discovered your blog. Very neat and makes an interesting read too. I always love applesauce and with raspberries you've taken it to a whole new level of deliciousness!
    Spice said…
    Hi PJ, Happy NEw Year to U & your family.......Nice click....I too make homemade applesauce or i should say fruit sauce with whatever fruit is on hand but never tried cardomn....I'm sure it'll make the taste even better...
    PJ said…
    Hi Dolly, thanks! Applesauce is my favorite! Raspberry was more of an experiment for me but it turned out so good that from now on I'll be making it always with some berry added :)

    Shwetha, welcome to my blog! Thanks so much for your kind words! I am very happy you enjoyed browsing here and hope to see you again soon :)

    Spice, thanks and a very happy new year to you too! Do try it with cardamom and let me know how you like it :) Thanks for stopping by!
    Sushma Mallya said…
    looks fantastic,beautifully presented...
    Wow i too make similar one.. but no cardamom looks soo tood and eyecatching picture.
    Sarah Naveen said…
    excellent click and that looks terrific..really mouthwatering
    PJ said…
    Sushma, thanks :)

    Pavithra, thanks! Cardamom does bring a nice flavor touch to this dish!

    Sarah, thanks :)
    Bong Mom said…
    Dear PJ
    Thanks for visiting me. The applesauce looks gorgeous.

    I make it only for the baby so you can imagine how it is. This looks like such a nice dessert
    Pierre said…
    Hi Pj
    after the festivities this kind of desert is very welcome !! cheers fro m Paris
    Pierre
    Winnie said…
    Looks great PJ...I adore homemade applesauce and I bet the cardamom adds a wonderful touch- I am adding cardamom to lots of things lately and just adore it.
    PJ said…
    Bong mom, thanks! Applesauce is indeed a very good baby food :)

    Pierre, thanks! I am so glad you liked this.

    Winnie, cardamom goes wonderfully in this dish! thanks for stopping by!
    Rajani said…
    i am cooking with fruits myself these days, so this is definitely an interesting post!
    PJ said…
    thanks Rajani! I look forward to more fruit recipes on your blog!
    San!!! said…
    Amazing blog with unique n creative lipsmacking recipes PJ.Following your blog.Iam fond of apples,cannot live without an apple a day.Applesauce is so refreshing with raspberry.