Pumpkin kheer/pumpkin pudding

Nothing screams fall like the rows and rows of neatly arranged pumpkins and squashes! The pumpkin display in front of our local Trader Joe's stores is so adorable that no visit to the groceries is complete for me now a days without picking up a new squash to try.

Last weekend I bought a small sugar pie pumpkin for a pumpkin pie. I halved the pumpkin and roasted it for an hour and half until sweet and moist. Just when I was mashing up the pumpkin I realized I had no eggs at hand. A last minute change of plans and some scavenger hunt later, I thought why not try some pumpkin kheer instead...

All I had was non-fat milk at hand but the kheer was still extremely creamy and wonderful tasting due to the freshly roasted and mashed pumpkins. Trust me, I am not a person with much sweet tooth, but this kheer was so simple and tasty that I gobbled half of it myself for dinner and next day breakfast!

Afterall it is the festivities and what better way to celebrate than some sweet pumpkin pudding. Happy Dasara to all!

Recipe: Pumpkin kheer
Serves 6
Ingredients:
1 small pie pumpkin (or ~2C cooked, mashed canned pumpkin)
3C non-fat milk (can use 2% or whole milk)
1C water
5 pods cardamom (crushed)
1/8tsp nutmeg powder
1/2C sugar
1Tbsp ghee/butter

Recipe:
  1. Cut the small pumpkin in half. Scoop out the inner strings and seeds.
  2. Place the cut sides down on an aluminium foil lined baking sheet. Cover with another aluminium foil.
  3. Roast in a pre-heated 375F oven for one and half hour or until the pumpkin is soft and fully cooked.
  4. Remove from oven. Let cool.
  5. Scoop out the inner roasted flesh (I got about 2C from a small pie pumpkin)
  6. Heat 1Tbsp ghee/butter in a large pot.
  7. When the butter is melted, add the pumpkin puree and cook for a couple of minutes.
  8. Then slowly add milk and water, stirring constantly.
  9. Add cardamom, nutmeg, sugar and mix well.
  10. On a low heat, let the mixture come to a slight boil and continue cooking for half an hour stirring constantly.
  11. Taste and adjust the seasonings per taste.
  12. Serve warm or cold with garnish of toasted almond slices, saffron and raisins.

Comments

Padhu Sankar said…
Looks yummy and that bowl looks superb
sangeeta said…
That is a yummy kheer i know. I make it differently n mine looks different too...roasted pumpkin must have been great in it.
Priya Suresh said…
Very tempting pudding, absolutely droolworthy..
Sushma Mallya said…
Pumpkin kheer, now thats something very different but nice way to use it...looks too good and yummy...
Treat and Trick said…
Looks so smooth and delicious, never tried pumpkin this way, great click too..
indosungod said…
I like the kheer idea lot better than pumpkin pie. Looks delicious.
Nithya said…
Looks yummy :) I love the clicks :)
Pushpa said…
BEautiful pot and clicks,payasam looks so flavorful and yummy.

Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com
Suji said…
Vah re vah...awesome pictures and great pudding with pumpkins PJ, Halloween is calling!!!!!
isnt that bowl incredibly cute or what????
i have been wondering what to do with pumpkin really...kheer sounds like a great idea!
Daisy Roshan said…
very innovative idea - kheer with pumpkins.....lovely presentation...
Ananda said…
There were incredibly number of soups around but kheer is absolutely a great idea :)
Rachana said…
Thats a great way to use pumpkin. The kheer looks so good.
Srivalli said…
wow kheer sure looks inviting!
Pari Vasisht said…
Roasted Pumpkin must have tasted great in the kheer. Love the bowl.
FOODELICIOUS
Ushnish Ghosh said…
Dear Prajakta
How are you?
Ha this is a great dish. In India it is difficult to find out which pumpkin is on the sweet side until you cook and eat.
I am sure it tastes good . I like the photo with few cute pumpkin seeds floating around.
I feel good reading your comment at the Biriyani blog.
Have a nice day
Cham said…
Your last minute concoction looks fantastic!
San said…
Pumpkin kheer is so excellent looking n i like the simplicity of making it PJ.

http://sanscurryhouse.blogspot.com
Hey PJ I am really really sorry , I think i missed all ur pumpkin posts. But U know I did not get the updates , I am wondering.. Anyway I will check again when u post again and let u know. By the way the kheer looks soooooooo delicious.