Holiday Cookies and A Wish for a Very Happy New Year!

Hi there! It has been so long.. sometimes life and work have a way of taking over things you love, don't they? Neverthless, I am committed to keeping this little space alive and buzzling, even if that means, ummm, 10 posts a year. A slow going is better than no going, right?!

For me Holidays are always the best time of the year. I have come to realize that holidays gain a special meaning and bring even more happiness and joy if you have a little one to share it with. May be it's a parent's deep desire and drive to make a perfect holiday for their little ones or it's the joy it brings to see a full blown smile on their faces seeing the Christmas tree at home lit up for the first time.. but holidays do take a special meaning with a little one around.

My little one just turned two. I have been meaning to start a holiday tradition with her, something simple, something just the two of us share every year - mother and daughter thing. And what else a foodie can think other than cooking or baking! So baking Christmas cookies is it. 

This was our first year of baking Christmas cookies at home. They turned out very tasty (much better than what I was expecting out of sugar cookies to be honest!). Although our hands could get more skilled with cookie decoration, overall we are quite happy with the results..

Little one was very excited and took a very active role baking the cookies, much more than I expected her to do at this age. I called her my baker's little assistant :)

I followed a simple but clearly a winner recipe from Allrecipes for making sugar cookies. The only change I made was to quarter the recipe - making only 15 servings which was more than enough for us to enjoy and share with few friends we met over Christmas.

I made the dough and refrigerated it overnight. Next morning took the dough out, let it thaw on the counter for 15-20mins. Took out our rolling pin and base, floured the base liberally and rolled the dough to about 1/4 inch thick. My daughter had a lot of fun helping Mom roll the dough.

Then using cookie cutter and some handmade cutouts we cut various shapes in the dough and baked for about 12mins. (I like crunchier cookies, so baked longer than recommended)

Here she is helping roll the dough and cutting shapes using cookie cutters.

I used Trader Joe's frosting mix for a quick vanilla frosting and decorated the cookies with organic decoration sugar from Target. However, little one had no patience for decoration! As soon as she saw cookies come out of oven, she saw no reason to wait any longer to start devouring them :)

All in all it was a great Christmas Eve afternoon spent together Mommy and me style; away from all the daily distractions. Isn't that holidays are all about?

Wishing you all a very happy new year filled with lots and lots of fun times cooking, baking and devouring yummy healthy food; may all your wishes come true this new year - Happy New Year from the kitchen of Ginger & Garlic to you and your families.

Comments

Unknown said…
Love the cookies you have made here. My little one was with me when I was reading your post. He LOVES the cookies and wants me to bake them. Yur little girl is adorable. :)
PJ said…
Thanks Supriya. I bet your little boy will have lots of fun baking cookies (not to mention eating them!) with you.. :)
Hari Chandana said…
perfectly made cookies.. wish you a very happy new year!!
PJ said…
Thanks Hari! A very happy new year to you as well :)