Black Eyed Peas Fritters (chavaliche bonde)

There is a really good reason behind why I never posted these fritters here even though I have made them countless times before. And that is because I never managed to get a photo. And there is a really good reason behind why I never managed to get a photo. And that is because everytime I make it, each and every one of them gets over in about 15mins after they are out of the fryer :)

So, I am going to post them today anyway even though I still don't have a photo. You just have to take my word for it that these are amazing and a sure to be crowd pleasers.

This is a fried snack which I make when we have guests over. If I am in the mood for fritters just for us at home, I make a baked version which is also noted below. Fried version of course gets a better crunch but other than that they both taste the same.

Recipe:
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1C dried black eyed peas
2 strands green onions
handful of fresh cilantro
2 cloves of garlic
1/2tsp crushed ginger
2 green chili
1tsp cumin powder
1tsp coriander powder
1tsp carom seeds (optional)
salt to taste
oil for frying

Recipe:
  1. Soak dried black eyed peas in enough water (~6C) for 4-6hrs or overnight. 
  2. Drain all the water and add the soaked peas along-with all the other ingredients in a grinder or mixer and chop until fine.
  3. Remove from mixer and make small balls using your hand
  4. Deep dry the fritters
  5. Serve with ketchup or tamarind chutney
Baked version: pre-heat oven to 375F. Coat oil on both sides of each ball, bake for 10-15mins on one side, flip them over, bake again for 10-15mins. If the fritters are cooked but are not crispy broil for another 5mins. Remove from oven, serve immediately. 

Comments