Strawberry Muffins

Really, is being foodie a gene we pass around from mother to child?

Last week I reached home from work and I got an excited call from my four year old who has just been picked up from her preschool by her dad.

"Mommy, I have a great idea - let's bake something today! Let's bake cherry pie!" she said in her most excited voice. 

It was a school night and I had plans for dinner and then had some office work lined up -- so I tried to derail her from the plan "but we don't have pie crust at home honey, so let's bake on the weekend, okay?" I say. 

Being a true foodie, to that she says "but we can make it, right? you can ask Google how to make crust! Google knows everything" 

hmmm.. "well yes, I can do that but how about we go to park instead or (reluctantly) may be I'll let you watch a Daniel Tiger instead!"... "no, let's bake something please" she says.

Wow, if today baking ranks above park and (gasp) TV then two things are for certain: 1) we are baking something today and 2) I have got a little foodie at my hand -- foodie is indeed a gene!

Pie crusts can be tedious so we instead settled on using up some of the fresh spring strawberries from farmer's market to make strawberry muffins instead.
Muffins are super easy, here is what you will need:
(makes 9-10 large muffins)
Dry ingredients:
  • 1-3/4 C whole wheat or all purpose flour
  • 1/2 C brown sugar or white granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • handful of chopped walnuts (optional)
Wet ingredients:
  • 1.5 C chopped fresh strawberries
  • 1/2C milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 C vegetable oil
Recipe is super simple too:
  • Pre-heat oven to 375
  • Mix the dry ingredients and set aside
  • Mix the wet ingredients
  • Add the dry mix to the wet ingredients and mix well
  • Line up a muffin tray with liners. Add enough muffin mix to each pod to fill it completely
  • Bake for 20-25 mins until the top looks toasted and it's cooked through (insert a toothpick in one muffin to check)
  • Remove from oven and enjoy!
So that's how we spent our evening -- baking muffins, then taking their photos and devouring them with milk and a hot cup of green tea!